Friday, January 3, 2014

Chivalry is Dead….for realsies

This is going to be short…but i needed to share it somewhere.

So, Wes and I walk into Jiffy Lube with our two kids. I am carrying Evan in his seat and he is holding Mina. There is also an older lady (i'd guess mid sixties) in there along with quite a few other people. The rest were sitting. There were 3 younger guys (two in their twenties, 1 in his teens), all playing on electronic devices, the rest were also mothers with children and older seniors. As we are standing there…not one, not a single one offered their seat to either myself or the older lady who were standing.

Now, I understand maybe one of these people had a disability and couldn't offer the seat…chances are they were fine. They were lazy, inconsiderate, and just didn't care. Of course I was going to live standing that whole fifteen minutes, but it is the principle of the matter. I am a woman holding a baby, she is a senior citizen…you made eye contact with all three of us standing people. Do the right thing. Especially that kid who was no more than 15 playing on his psp. Sit on the floor for goodness sakes!!

This happens quite often. I will walk into a store, older men always hold the door for me, younger ones…almost never. 

I don't care if I am not your wife. 
I don't care if that lady is not your grandmother. 

You get off your lazy butt and offer up your seat. 

This has made me realize that as a mother I am going to POUND into Evan's head what it means to be considerate. I will teach him to open the car door for any girl, even if he is not dating them. I will teach him to offer his seat no matter what to those standing who could use the chair. I will teach him that he better always hold the door. 

I still am in disbelief. Have been all day. 

Mothers, please…please teach your boys to be MEN. Chivalrous men. 

Mostly out of selfishness because that baby carrier is really heavy. 

I am thankful my husband will always carry both Mina and Evan to and from the car for me. He always  leaves me the lighter load. For that I am eternally grateful (yep i just pulled a toy story line on ya)

Rant over. Have a good weekend. 

1 comments:

Cory and Becca said...

That's crazy. Cory & I have been in those situations before too & although I don't have babes anymore, just toddlers I have to chase down, we always say something to those youngings to move their keesters for the oldies!

Post a Comment

How may I help you sir or mam?

Wes and Jessa

Daisypath Anniversary tickers