Friday, June 6, 2014

Dear Single Dad Laughing:

I feel your pain. I do.
I once was single. and pregnant, then placed my daughter for adoption. 
I was "unworthy" for a LONG period of time. 
I missed a lot of my friends weddings, adoption sealings, and what not. 

But THIS article. This made my stomach hurt. I love your blog. I think it is hilarious. Every time you write another article I sit up in bed and laugh my butt off. This article though, I think it was just bad. 

I understand what it is like to be left out. I understand how it feels to be a little angry towards God, The bishop, the ward, whomever you choose. No one likes to be told they aren't "special enough" or "worthy enough", No one enjoys being excluded. 

Your article reached a new level of bashing, rude, and downright mean in my opinion. If you were once apart of the church you know that for the most part, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints are good people, filled with good hearts. Just as Catholics, Jewish, Baptist, Seventh-Day, Evangelical, etc. The LDS faith focuses on service, love, and family. I got married in the temple. I had to go through the church court, the interviews, everything to get there; but i made it. I loved every minute of it. I sat across the alter from my husband and we were married for time and all eternity. 

Guess what? The church did pay millions for the temples. They do get that money from tithing, but they also get that money from businesses they run. They are self sufficient. You know what else the church has done for me? They paid my rent when i was going to be evicted, they paid for groceries when I had no food, and they helped me find a job when i got laid off. ALL while I was unable to PASS THE QUESTIONS. 

So they have the temple that is sacred and separate. That is their right. Unfortunately it does leave people out, but that is their right. 

You like to get personal so I will too, I have someone very close to me going through a faith crisis. He is the one man I love more than anything in the world. He isn't so sure how he feels about things in the church anymore. He had to miss my sisters wedding, he had to miss our closest friend's wedding. The crazy thing is, No one was upset or appalled by him. They loved him. They hugged him. They invited him into the pictures. It isn't people pretending they care about you (at least in my experience, if it is your experience…you need new family and friends) They genuinely loved him and missed him being there. They are happy you are there to celebrate anyways. 

Here is something I think you were unaware of, as I just became aware of it. In the temple recommend interview, the question that is mostly end all beat all (unless you hate mormonism) Is " do YOU feel worthy" This is an INCREDIBLE question to put in. They are asking you what you think about yourself. They are asking you to take responsibility for yourself. I could not be happier that they chose to put this question into the interview. 

Your lifestyle is different from mine, It is very different. You expected everyone to jump off their seats and be loving and supportive of your new found bisexual lifestyle. Guess what? For the most part people did. But even more important is, shouldn't we Mormons expect the same from you? Can you not give us the same respect that our lifestyle is different? I love you and continue to read your blog even though you are gay, even though you have decided to not be Mormon anymore. Can I not expect the same from you? I thought I could. 

I encourage you to re examine how you talk about other religions so harshly. Because if this was an article about Gays. you would be all over that infuriated. Gays are a group of people, Mormons are a group of people. Not the same? Okay what if I wrote a seething article about confessional in the catholic church…then what? Same thing.

Let us be accepting. You have the right to be hurt. YES. You don't have the right to be mean. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

How may I help you sir or mam?

Wes and Jessa

Daisypath Anniversary tickers